Low Carb Cranberry Relish

Photo

 

This recipe is so easy and so delicious, you will just love it.  I’ve always been a huge cranberry lover, Mother used to grind the oranges,  pour on the sugar add the cranberries and simmer until they popped, and while I liked it, I can’t say I loved it, because it the rind made it bitter.  Then I started making it myself, just zesting the orange, squeezing in the juice, and I was hooked.

I buy cranberries in bulk, last year it was 18 bags, and I just left them in their packages and popped them into the freezer so I could have cranberries all year.  This year, it will be more like 24 bags, because eating low carb, we have them so often.

And since oranges have carbs, even though they are minimal, I’m using orange extract instead with excellent results.  Here’s how I make them ~

1 bag cranberries, fresh or frozen
3/4 cup Splenda
3/4-1 cup water
chopped pecans (optional) 

Just simmer the berries, covered, about 10 minutes until they pop.  Then take off the burner and add 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of orange extract.  This is one of those recipes you play with, start with a half a teaspoon of extract, and if you want more orange flavor, add a bit more.  And if you like nuts, add them.

I like them tart, so 3/4 cup of Splenda is fine for me, if you want them sweeter, add a cup.  

I usually add 1 cup of water, 3/4 cup and they are pretty thick when chilled in the fridge.

They keep for days, and are so good as a side dish.  Carbs?  I don’t really know, I put them in a ramekin to serve, I’m guessing 5-6 carbs per ramekin.

If you don’t make these, you’re missing out on a great treat, and be sure and stock up while the supply is in the store.

Happy Thanksgiving, and enjoy.  ~ Jan 

Note:  I blogged about a wonderful comfort meal I made with faux mashed potatoes and gravy, yes gravy, yes low carb, on my Jan’s Daily Dish Blog. I served this relish with it.  You can read about it here, it was the best dinner ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment