Ramona's Famous Poppyseed Dressing

Poppy Seed Dressing1

 

Ramona was a good friend of mine and a wonderful cook.  She gave me so many great recipes, but this is my favorite.  I love this dressing, it’s so versatile, wonderful with chicken, walnuts, a few strawberries, delicious with cheese and bacon and spring greens, it’s just the best dressing I’ve ever tasted.  I’ve modified it a bit for low carb  this is a keeper, pinkie swear it is.  ~ Jan

3/4 C. (sugar) Splenda (I now use Erythitol, 0 carbs)
I cut this back a bit, i think 3/4 cup of sweetener is too sweet, so I use a heaping half cup and it’s perfect
1 t. dry mustard
1/2 C. chopped onion
1 t. salt 
1/3 C. balsamic vinegar  - I use red wine vinegar, lower in carbs
1 cup canola oil - I know, I should use olive oil, but I like canola best in this recipe - it’s a bit of a cheat  
1 1/2 T. poppy seeds - always store poppy seeds in fridge, they get rancid easily, if you have them open in your pantry they are probably rancid, throw them out and buy fresh. 

To make dressing:

Whisk together all ingredients until you can no longer feel the sugar grains (because they have dissolved in the liquid) and the whisk leaves a trail in the thickened mixture.
Makes about 3 cups, so you will have leftover dressing.

NOTE: When I make this, I find it necessary to blend dressing ingredients in my food processor to get the silky smooth, honey like consistency.  If you just whisk it, sometimes it’s a bit gritty.  I add my ingredients and just pour the oil thru the tube until it is incorporated, don’t overmix it or it will be foamy.  You can also do this in the blender, just don’t overblend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment