Sausage Pumpkin Soup

NewImage

This is a filling, awesome tasting soup, full of flavor, rich and robust, it’s a great soup for a blustery night.  I make mine with Spicy Bob Evans Sausage, you can make it with Italian Sausage as well, I prefer it without cream, hubby likes his with cream.  

And no, you don’t taste the pumpkin, it just gives the soup bulk and richness. It’s a great soup, trust me.  ~ Jan

1 pound pork sausage I like Bob Evans Spicy, or you can use Italian Sausage
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 pound fresh mushrooms sliced, or a can of mushrooms drained
2-3 large cloves of garlic, minced 
15 ounce can pumpkin 
4 cups chicken broth 
1 Tablespoon of Italian Seasoning - I use a heaping tablespoon
1/2 cup heavy cream or just add cream to individual bowls 
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a large pot, brown the sausage along with the onion, mushrooms, when almost browned, add garlic.  i don’t add the garlic in earlier because it burns easily; drain fat. Add the pumpkin and broth. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes.

Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.

After it simmers you can add 1/2 cup heavy cream and simmer for a few minutes longer, or, if you’re like me, I like it with just the broth, so I don’t add cream to the entire recipe, instead I put hubby’s soup in a bowl and stir in a couple of tablespoons of cream.

Makes 8 cups or 8 servings 
Can be frozen

Carbs aren’t high in this soup, I would guestimate them to be 4-5 carbs per bowl depending on serving size.

No comments:

Post a Comment