Chicken Schnitzel

NewImage

 

I made Jennifer Eloff’s Chicken Schnitzel this week and it was amazing, one of the best chicken recipes ever, even if you don’t eat low carb.

I did make a few changes to the recipe, I didn’t use her baking mix or Coconut Flour, I’m not a fan of Coconut Flour, I substituted Almond Flour and since Parmesan Cheese is so salty, I didn’t add as much salt as the recipe calls for.

Here’s how I made it and I’ll link to her original recipe below.

3/4 cup Almond Flour
1/2  cup grated Parmesan cheese, I used a blend of Parmesan and Romano
Scant 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp black pepper
3 eggs
1Tbsp water
4 large chicken breasts
Olive Oil for frying

Garnishes:Lemon wedgesChopped parsley

In medium bowl, combine Almond Flour, Parmesan cheese, salt, Italian seasoning and black pepper.  Mix well.  In another medium bowl, beat eggs and water together well with a fork. 

You want the chicken breasts thin, so I slice them in half longitudinally and separate into two pieces.  Then flatten more, I pound them with an iron skillet.  I put the chicken breasts between parchment paper or plastic wrap and give them a good whack on the garage floor.  This is so easy, one whack and you have uniform breasts :)

Dip each piece of chicken in egg wash and then dredge in seasoned bake mix.

In two nonstick frying pans, get olive oil hot then place 3 pieces of prepared chicken in each skillet, don’t crowd it.  Turn temperature down and fry 5 minutes on medium heat on one side until golden brown underneath, flip carefully and fry another 4 to 6 minutes, watching the temperature and lowering if needed if they are becoming too brown.  Watch the heat, I start with it relatively high and quickly turn it down because Almond Flour browns  more quickly than regular flour.

Do not overcook or the chicken will no longer be tender.  Just cook it until it’s no longer pink.  You want the chicken to be moist and tender under the “breading.”  

Serve with lemon wedges and sprinkle chicken with chopped parsley.

Yield:  6 servings

1 serving 224.8 calories
27.0 g protein
10.4 g fat
3.5 g net carbs

Here is Jennifer’s original recipe

Recipe Courtesy Low Carb News

No comments:

Post a Comment